9 Things every happy person should have
1. A go-to drink. Because they don’t have butterbeer at bars…citrus vodka and tonic, I prefer lemon but any will do. If the bar doesn’t carry any citrus vodka, this is a sign of cocktail trouble, order a “mexican” bottled beer like Modelo or Corona instead.
2. A go-to Karaoke song. Don’t Stop Believing as a group or duet or if by myself Gold Dust Woman by Fleetwood Mac. I have the voice of a cat in heat, so emotion is better than technique here.
3. A uniform. Glasses, all day everyday. One day I will find a signature style, right now I am struggling not to cut off my hair that looks good long but has more upkeep than my cats.
4. A hair stylist they love. I miss Nassir at Shampoo Dolls. I got my hair cut right before I moved because I knew this was going to be the hardest service to replace. He would cut my hair in a way that would reduce the tangles, no idea how but it was magic.
5. An exercise routine. When I am following a routine it’s twice a week with 2 miles on a cardio machine, recumbent bikes are the best for my knees, and then 3 sets of weights focusing on either arms, back, core, or legs. I try to sneak in a yoga class or swim at least once a week.
6. A hobby. I asked my Grandfather once if he had any hobbies, he pointed to my Grandma. I don’t make crafts, do sports, or join clubs. If anything my hobby is pinning things I am never going to do.
7. A best friend. I have a person, her name is Kay. I also have a husband. I need both.
8. A healthy sense of self. I entered into my 20s with the idea I had me all figured out but found passionate/opinionated me I was to be less successful than the me I wanted to be. Then I found that successful me was only good at work and I needed to be a more balanced me. Right now I am focusing on a more academic me to have a paper trail of my potential and find a job that allows me the flexibility to push my passions and the freedom to self-care.
9. A guilt free indulgence. Seeing movies by myself, make-up samples, and a bloody mary for breakfast (it’s a cocktail and a salad!)